[thelist] CMS recommendation?

Stefan Schwarzer st.schwarzer at geois.de
Thu May 17 02:32:18 CDT 2007

Hi there,

I guess this question asks for a rather difficult, because
subjective, answer. But I thought I rather seek some assistance now,
and not when my chosen CMS sucks...

I used XOOPS a while ago for developing a site, but found it rather
bulky, cumbersome, difficult to customize for some local needs, and
with some problems on the security side. I use Wordpress for a couple
of different blogs and found it really great. But it's not a CMS.

So, for another project, where we need to make results from a
research project available - graphics, tables, maps, with some
explanations, docs - I would like to go for another CMS. I guess that
the site won't be too complex, having not more than 50 pages, pretty
similar in style and content. It's rather only one person developing
and maintaining the site. No need for extended features like
calendar, polls, emailing etc.. Should be PHP based.

As there are dozens/hundreds of CMS out there ( I looked at http://
www.opensourcecms.com to get some ideas ), I thought that
nevertheless there is some kind of most-often-used or so CMS ( a bit
like Wordpress is one of the major blogs software ) for the given
purposes.

Thanks for any advice.

Stef