[thelist] image resolution overview

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Sun May 20 14:15:38 CDT 2007

> I'm having trouble putting into words ( non-techy words for a non-techy
> audience) why it is important to adjust image resolution from whatever
> dpi, 300-600, to 72 (or perhaps 96) for use on the internet and in
> email.  Point me to a short article (a paragraph) would be fine. -Bob

File size? Just show them the same image in 300 DPI and in 72 DPI and
the file size it has and then show them a graph that shows how long
this'll take on different connections to download, and even better how
much traffic on the server it causes. Doug Bowman had a nice slide in
his @media presentation two years ago that showed how much traffic
moving blogger.com from non-semantic HTML to CSS saved, and he showed
it to a non-tech audience by converting the traffic figures to CDs -
now imagine 10000 CDs is easier than talking about Terabytes of
traffic.

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com