[thelist] image resolution overview

Rick den Haan rick.denhaan at gmail.com
Sun May 20 15:28:34 CDT 2007

Bob Meetin wrote:
> I'm having trouble putting into words ( non-techy words for a non-techy
> audience) why it is important to adjust image resolution from whatever
> dpi, 300-600, to 72 (or perhaps 96) for use on the internet and in
> email.  Point me to a short article (a paragraph) would be fine. -Bob

It's not really the DPI size that matters, as long as they realize the image
as displayed on the internet/email is going to be the exact same size on the
screen as they see it on their screen, when zoomed in to 100%.  When
planning to use an image online, ignore the image dimensions in inches or
centimeters, and make sure the size *in pixels* is what they want it to be.

For example, a 3 by 2 inch image at 300 DPI is going to be 900 by 600
pixels, whereas the size intended on screen is probably 216 by 144 pixels,
which is the same size in inches, but at 72 DPI.

HTH,
Rick.