[thelist] job estimates with unknowns

Barney Carroll barney at textmatters.com
Tue May 22 11:43:05 CDT 2007

Bob Meetin wrote:
 > What do you do, give a best guesstimate range? Say that's based
upon......

I'm surprised at the reactions listers have given.

"They can't even tell you how many pages?!" !!

None of my clients know the ins and outs of every little detail their
website will involve. This sounds like I'm oversimplifying it loads, but
if you work this stuff out for them, or at least /propose/ it, you can
stick that in the budget as well.

I've always seen web work as the basis of a couple of conversations to
work out what kind of site it basically is, followed by a pitch, which
includes the cost. Your boldness and ability to decide what's right for
them will impress them and set them at ease. If you can make up for the
fact they have very little time, they will think of you as more valuable
as opposed to a confused nuisance.

If you are still genuinely unsure about what they want, ask them
straight out... "What is your budget?" and tell them what you can do
with it.

Regards,
Barney