[thelist] What is the best programming language for the web?

Paul Bennett Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz
Thu May 24 16:30:28 CDT 2007

> Lots of people defend what they know, but Adobe ColdFusion is pretty
> much unassailable on the first and final metrics you cite.

<troll>
John, are you on commission? ;)
</troll>

- Good / bad code can be written in most well-supported server-side languages.
- Fast / slow code can be written in most well-supported server-side languages.
- Complex / simple code can be written in most well-supported server-side languages.

To me Coldfusion code examples are hard to get my head around - I went with PHP because it's C-like syntax was easier for me to understand and worked in well (for me) with JavaScript development.

I've heard others say the opposite - that they like the xml-like syntax of Coldfusion and loathe other programming language structure.

Ultimately the question is: 'what's a widely supported language which is easy *for me* to understand and which I can quickly become productive in?'

Coldfusion, Perl (remember Perl?), PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, Python, even Ruby are now all valid choices - it depends upon the *individual*.

>Anything given away (PHP, ASP) take the prize in initial capitalization
>costs, although they'd get more expensive when also looking at total
>ongoing costs.

Data please?