[thelist] What is the best programming language for the web?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Sun May 27 20:19:33 CDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 09:44 +0100, Sales @ Lycosa wrote:
> I would like to open up a discussion on which programming language is
> 'best'
> for web programming.
> I have been using php for some years now, but I was recently told that
> could run up to 170 times faster. Raw speed is not necessarily an
> issue, but
> it made me think about using other programming languages.

It all depends on what language(s) you know, and what you need to do. I
know Perl, Python, Forth, C, and BASIC (among others) to varying

In summary, if you know just PHP, that's what you should be using. If
it's not enough to get a given job done, you'll find out soon enough.
PHP is probably among one of the most portable; there are some such as
ASP and Cold Fusion that are decisively less so (the former being a
Microsoft product, the latter being what an Adobe product by way of
Allaire and Macromedia, both of which are Windows-centric and place you
at the mercy of proprietary software vendors for licensing).

Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>