[thelist] Opening new windows or not [was: dumb css questions for valid XHTML 1.0 Strict]

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Mon May 28 20:19:06 CDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 22:29 +0200, Rick den Haan wrote:
> Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> > I compare (suggesting that) having links open in a new window is
> like
> > having the gas pedal in a car work like a brake pedal half the time
> at
> > random. (And I say "suggesting that" because this *can* be
> overridden
> > with e.g. Privoxy and/or a Firefox setting.)
> It's an interesting comparison, certainly.  However, remember the late
> nineties?  All (OK, maybe not all, but certainly most) websites with
> external links opened them in new windows using the target="_blank"
> method.
> IMO, this became the de facto method of opening off-site links, and
> surfers
> started expecting this behavior.

I started using the Web in 1995. I found it incredibly annoying then,
and I still do today. On one hand I am glad we now have tools like
Firefox (and many of the add-ons for it), Privoxy, and Tor. On the
other, I think it's absurd at what I have to do to get a browser to act
the way *I* want it to and protect myself from privacy invasions.

> Yes, the default behavior can be overridden by a browser setting, but
> how
> many people do you know that use Firefox and know of about:config?
> And I
> mean the average websurfer here, not other developers or IT workers.

Two out of three that I can think of off the top of my head. The one
that doesn't is my roommate and he barely knows we run "something
besides Windows" on our PC.

Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>