[thelist] Turn (English) Website into Arabic

kasimir-k kasimir.k.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 30 05:34:20 CDT 2007

Stefan Schwarzer scribeva in 29/05/2007 11:50:
> our website, a portal for global national statistics and other kind
> of data sets ( http://geodata.grid.unep.ch ) needs to get ready for
> translation (or better: display) of arabic language.

Are you sure you are concerned only on the display issues? Providing
content for different regions/languages usually involves much more than
just that, things called internationalization and localization (i18n and
L10n).

> Where do I have to start?  (Beside of google, yes.... I searched
> already a bit around, but haven't really found much stuff.)

As you are using PHP one good google start would be:
<http://google.com/search?q=php+i18n>
Wikipedia is always worth a read:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I18N>
Maybe you could use Zend Framework's Zend_Locale module? Even if not,
having a look at it might give you some ideas:
<http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.locale.html>

.k