[thelist] OT - PHP and MySQL server

Ken Moore psm2713 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 10 10:06:29 CDT 2007

Hi all,

I have an "over time" question on PHP and MySQL servers. We looking for a
hosting company that will simplify a big project that we have.

We are working with a client who is going to start with 20 to 30 domains and
eventually have well over 500 that they are managing. These will be real and
independent sites, not a collection interrelated sites that promote each
other. Technically, each site will be relatively modest with about 20 pages,
low to moderate bandwidth needs, and 2 or 3 PHP pages to collect visitor
information. Each site will take a minimal amount of upkeep but taken
together, it will a big job.

The issue is in the sites’ support and management. I have done some research
and think that Godaddy is a good hosting option. They allow unlimited
domains and  they have Fedora Core, PHP, and MySQL, all very important. They
also allow you to tailor your own account based on level of help, disk space
and bandwidth. They also register new domains, have Plesk, and have a very
good track record.

Are there any other hosts that might be good for such a large number of
sites?

Also, any suggestions on how to manage them are welcome, such as "How do you
organize that many sites?"

TIA, Ken