[thelist] GoDaddy software and Macs

Brooking, John John.Brooking at sappi.com
Tue Jun 26 12:25:38 CDT 2007

Howdy,

   We have a friend who has a website hosted by GoDaddy, and which is
built using their hosted "Website Tonight" site builder. Unfortunately,
she uses a Macintosh, which is not "recommended" for that software
according to their FAQ, and in fact she is not able to update the site
herself. (I don't know how the original decision was made, maybe it was
before she was involved.) So far she has been calling my wife to do
updates for her, so I am thinking about alternatives to suggest to her.

   I'm not self-employed and looking for additional work, so the more I
think about it, the more I like the idea of having her just run a
Windows emulator on her Mac so she can use the GoDaddy software from a
"Windows" browser. I'm assuming this should work fine, but I thought I'd
better run it by you all and see if there's any issues with this I don't
know about. Thoughts?

   Alternative suggestions are welcome as well. Besides the emulator
idea, I've thought about changing hosts, installing a native site editor
package on her Mac, or creating some custom server software for her
using FCKEdit and PHP/MySQL objects. Product research is not my strong
suit, so the first two sound like a lot of boring research, and the
custom work option is not too attractive because this is a non-profit
who is not prepared to spend much money, as evidenced by her willingness
to ask my wife to do updates for her. :-)

   Thanks for any suggestions!

- John

--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.