[thelist] File recovery?

Jon Molesa rjmolesa at consoltec.net
Tue Jun 26 21:17:48 CDT 2007

My Bad,

For clarity....

*On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 01:52:53PM -0400 Jon Molesa <rjmolesa at consoltec.net> wrote:

> Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:52:53 -0400
> From: Jon Molesa <rjmolesa at consoltec.net>
> To: TheList <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
> Subject: [thelist] File recovery?
>
> I accidental overwrote a file with empty data using redirect.  It's an
> ext3 fs managed by LVM and setup in raid5.  Is there any way to recover
> my goof?

ext3 is the file system similar to FAT or NTFS, the significance being
that file recovery has a higher success rate on ext2 file systems.  The
fs was the file system shorthand.  LVM, sadly I'm not too familiar with
but looks to have some real nice advantages.  It stands for Linux Volume
Manager I believe.  And the raid5 array I think everyone knows, but id
Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks.  The 5, is some type of config
that's apparently the recommendation when setting up a raid array.  I
only provided such info thinking that it would have some bearing on the
advice I might receive.  Some of them are new, but I consider everyone
on here to be such high caliber experts that try to balance the length
of my request with brevity and conciseness.  Anyway, thanks to the

As far as backups go, LVM has some type of snapshot feature that I'll be
digging more into the next couple of days.  I'm hoping I'll discover
that they snapshot id some type of image file that can be
mounted/umounted and the burned to a DVD for archival.  If interested
I'll follow up when I find out myself.

Later.