[thelist] Another dumb question -- sendmail

Paul Waring paul at xk7.net
Tue Jul 17 02:30:34 CDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 05:16:11PM -0400, Brent Eades wrote:
> In any case -- can someone point me to a good tutorial on how to set up
> Fedora 6 to actually send mail through an ISP's SMTP server? I had this
> working fine with my old install, but I can't remember for the life of
> me how I got it working back then.

First of all, you don't need a full blown mail setup if you're not
receiving any email to that machine (as in it's the final destination
for a domain's mail, not that you download and read your other mail over
POP3/IMAP there). All you need to do is setup your machine to function
as a smarthost and it will automatically send out all emails through
your ISP. Depending on how your ISP works though this might be a bit
tricky - do you need to provide a username/password when sending mail or
is it just done based on your connection/IP? (i.e. once you're
connected, you can send without needing to provide any authentication
details_.

Paul