[thelist] Uniques subject lines on maillists

Ken Moore psm2713 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 10:45:30 CDT 2007

Hi all,

I have a client that has an opt-in mail list from which he sends out many
emails a day. He may have up to 30 or more emails to send to selected
members of the list each day. Each email goes to from 1 to about 10 people
on the list.

The problem is that each unique email needs a unique subject line. The
members who get that particular email read the subject line, which is a
summary of the email, and decide whether to open and read or to discard it.
This leads to very much cutting and pasting in the subject line.

As the list grow, this is quickly getting out of hand. We have figured out a
way to put the email address, subject line, and the body of the email into
MySQL fields and we could use PHP. But this is very awkward.

What we need is a mail list program that allows us to load not only the
address but both the body and the subject line from MySQL, MS Access, a text
file, or somewhere else.

My client would prefer a PC-based solution on a Windows machine but a
server-based solution would work too.

TIA, Ken