[thelist] Prevent dictionary attacks on passwords

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Tue Jul 24 10:43:26 CDT 2007

Bill...

I would log on failures the requesting IP and a time-stamp. If there had been X number of failures over x number of seconds I would "block that IP" for X number of minutes.

Dictionary attacks are normally fast and furious, not slow and deliberate so setting your threshold to 3 failures in 5 seconds would be a good start.