[thelist] Impact of domain name in google ranking

Paul Waring paul at xk7.net
Wed Jul 25 14:06:14 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:14:46AM -0300, Eduardo Kienetz wrote:
> I'm thinking of registering a domain name with extension .blog.br, and
> its content would be in english (e.g.: somethinginenglish.blog.br). In
> comparison to a somethinginenglish.blog (which is not available, I
> know) would my Google ranking be affected for sites in english? Like
> if I have something.com.br > something.com ?

I think Google uses the country extension (if one exists) to rank sites
if you're searching on a local site (e.g. google.co.uk), but it's only
part of the formula and I don't think it will make enough of a
difference to be all that important. If your content is in English then
Google won't omit your site from its results just because it has an
extension for a country whose first language isn't English.

Paul

--
Paul Waring
http://www.pwaring.com