[thelist] browser emulation

Ken Snyder kendsnyder at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 12:51:48 CDT 2007

Luther, Ron wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Why emulate?  Nothing's better than the real thing!
>
> If you have enough real and/or virtual machines, load them up with
> different browsers here:
> http://browsers.evolt.org/
>

> HTH,
> RonL.

That's my experience as well.  Having my network guy setup some Windows
XP virtual machines is the only solution that worked for me.  I just
click an RDP icon to get to the virtual machine I want and it runs very
quickly on the same network.  You can, for example, have one virtual
machine for IE 5.5, IE 6 sp1, IE 6 sp2 and use IE 7 on your development
computer.

The treadsoft solution does not allow cookies and may not use the proper
js engine.  The Microsoft Virtual PC solution is hard to install, runs
very slowly, and is unable to access localhost on the host machine.

The bottom line is that IE is so closely integrated with the operating
system (security, jscript engine, cookies, activex) that it is nearly
impossible to have two fully separate and working IE
versions--especially ever since the XP sp2 upgrades that beefed up
security and such.

-- Ken