[thelist] Anyone using Python?

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 08:58:58 CDT 2007

On 7/30/07, Paul Bennett <Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz> wrote:

> My goal is to get into more OOP

> My options so far are Python, Ruby or Java, but I'm not overly keen on Java's "everything to everybody" approach

I'm not sure what that last means -- could you amplify?

In any case, Java is my current primary development language, and
there's a lot to be said for a relatively mature language with tons of
third-party libraries, framework choices, and extension (scripting)
languages (BeanShell, Groovy, etc.).

I've tried Python, but honestly the "white-space-as-syntax" seems
utterly nuts. Inadvertently type one space character in a file and
your program stops working. Oh, boy. :-)

However, I've recently started a substantial new project using Ruby
on Rails, and am definitely enjoying it.

The language itself is pretty straightforward and, being interpreted,
easy to play with -- no compiling like Java. The 'gem' library installer
works well (and I normally despise "installers"). The Rails framework's
philosophical underpinnings are worth thinking about even if you're
not using it. And with the development of JRuby -- Ruby running on
the Java VM -- you potentially have access to all those Java third-party
libs mentioned above.

HTH!
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com