[thelist] client works sheets - good or bad or just homogeneity?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 18:13:56 CDT 2007

On 31 Jul 2007, at 15:49, Matt Warden wrote:

> On 7/31/07, Alex Beston <alex.beston at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> To be honest, these communications are more about defining phases of
>>> the project and managing timelines and scope than much anything
>>> else.
>>> There is still a need to build the relationship; that is a separate
>>> thing.
>>
>> Well sure, but putting this worksheet to the prospect before any
>> relationship has begun is clearly counterproductive; dont you think?
>
> Yes, as I said, these are separate things. If your initial
> communication about anything (project, scope, approach, design, etc)
> is a document, then at best you're setting yourself up for a lot of a
> risk, and at worst you will lose some (potential) clients.

Absolutely - with the emphasis on 'initial'. If you don't have a working
relationship and shared understanding with your client before it gets
nailed down and finalised, how are you going to work together?

You absolutely do need to get this stuff documented and agreed
(formally if humanly possible) early though.

Otherwise you'll get your end date going way, way out to the right, with
associated effort. And unless you've got a cast iron client promise
to pay
for it, you'll be in serious trouble.

Cheers
Martin