[thelist] client works sheets - good or bad or just homogeneity?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 08:51:36 CDT 2007

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 13:41:30 +0100, "Alex Beston" wrote:
> Martin

>> While Services to Assist does quite often go well with a T&M payment
>> basis - and FP with Services to Deliver - they're not inextricably
>> linked.
>
> T&M / FP?

Time & Materials/Fixed Price as before

>> Yeah, I've studied some contract law, and I know [how?] to read a
> Statement
>> of Work.
>
> ah. I guess I ought to be outputting this stuff at the appropriate
> moment in the business relationship. Could I ask, is a statement of
> work the thing you send once theres an agreement over the proposal?

Yes, this is the basis of the contract. What most people do is have
a base contract - standard Ts&Cs for all projects, covering stuff
like copyrights, payment terms, non-solicitation of staff, liability
and so on - and a SoW, which contains the specifics of *this*
contract: "We will provide you with X, Y & Z, for which you will
pay us £A, $B and €C"

The Wikipedia article ain't bad:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statement_of_work

> (The proposal, which has arrived via a RFI (request for information, I
> take it, a generic document, the worksheet format currently popular
> being only a particular instance )...)

Usually getting past the RFI means that you're worth spending the time
in discussions with. It's these discussions/negotiations that produce
the agreement that the SoW documents.

Cheers
Martin

--
"Names, once they are in common use   | Spammers: Send me email to
 quickly become mere sounds, their    | -> yumyum at easyweb.co.uk
 etymology being buried, like so many | my filter. Currently killing over
 of the earth's marvels, beneath the  | 99.9% of all known spams stone dead.
 dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie     | http://nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam