[thelist] losing irritated / arrogant customers off my books

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 14:29:21 CDT 2007

On 8/6/07, Alex Beston <alex.beston at gmail.com> wrote:

Alex, take a step back for just a moment, and think about it from your
client's point of view.

> 1) he doesnt seem to understand the technology he's using - its a
> means to an end

And all should care about is that the means allows his to achieve his
desired end.

> 2) its starting to get "pissed off" - his own words

He's upset because his means to the end isn't working, or doesn't work
like he thinks it should.

> he doesnt
> understand that the attachments cant be more than about 4 megs. hes a
> graphic designer and still sends his clients graphic work via @

In his mind, he's paying for something that doesn't achieve one of the
key features that he needs.

> 3) hes late in paying, knows when the due date is and waits for me to
> invoice him.

Of course he's late in paying. He's not happy.

As a rule of thumb, invoice your clients before they pay you. They get
busy too, and not everyone is diligent about paying the bills.

> 4) most if not all the problems that occured are to do with something
> outside of my control

But he is your client, and you are in charge of making sure his stuff
works. So therefore it really is your problem.

> 5) for the level of service he wants i'd rather be wanting to see
> about £250 out of him not £75.

Maybe what you need to do is sit down with him and find out exactly
what he has a problem with, and then provide him solutions for how to
solve those problems. If he wants better service, then yes, he should
understand he has to pay more.

Randal Rust
R.Squared Communications