[thelist] hand-coding .NET

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at netsyncro.com
Mon Aug 6 14:49:37 CDT 2007

Joel D Canfield wrote:
> I've pretty much lost interest in building external websites. If using
> .NET for intranets is going to push me places I don't want to go (as I
> fear it may be) I might actually be facing a career change.

Career change..  Things that may help you in your command line/vim
pursuit of happiness...

mono.. (www.go-mono.com)
nant ( Java has ant. Mono/.Net has nant)
nmaven (http://incubator.apache.org/nmaven/ Once aagain stolen from
Java's maven)

When I was coding in .Net/Mono I was forced to use vim because of the
lack of a C#/.Net IDE for Linux.  (MonoDevelop) is(?)/was trash and bug
ridden to the point where being completely unproductive to use.  Moving
to Java and having something like Intellij IDEA is a breath of fresh
air.  I'd not recommend it to beginners as it can cheat and do a lot for
you, but something to consider when you really do need time saver features.

Good luck

./C