[thelist] losing irritated / arrogant customers off my books

Bob Meetin ontheroad at frii.com
Mon Aug 6 19:21:12 CDT 2007

Yes - and it does work.

Maybe not 1000's but certainly a bunch.  I've got some clients who are
wonderful people but they are horribly distracted and so they don't even
do the simple things, their part in updating content uploading images,
updating specials, etc.  Their sites go lame, quietly off into the
sunset.  I can explain (a.k.a. splanning) until I'm blue in the face
what needs to happen.  Blah blah.... I have one that I've now been
waiting for 8+ months to obtain her networksolutions passwords so that I
can switch hosting companies.  If it's not important to the client.....

When we (at least me) first get into the business we're ecstatic to get
any client, to get a testimonial, to see a link back to our site, to see
our name in lights.  Betwixt that and not understanding the importance
of business processes, agreements, setting expectations, we fall victim
to ourselves.

We learn, we learn how to set expectations better, including what to
expect with hosting, networking, timeframe, costs, much more.  The big
thing in my mind is that we learn how to interview clients for their
habits.  We learn to spot those who will be difficult to satisfy.  We
also learn to identify those who will be dedicated, thus leading to
quality referrals.

Part of the battle is setting the expectations of world-class,
enterprise-level, vs small business, mom-pop, shops (many of mine).  If
you are paying rackforce prices then you should expect rackforce
service.  We as developers cannot guarantee uptime; we can only explain
as best we can the differences and suggest who 'might' offer a fair
price and good service for the buck.  Listen to the needs and set
expectations.

-Bob