[thelist] create/restore an MSSQL database from a local .bak file

Sarah Adams mr.sanders at geekjock.ca
Tue Aug 7 14:17:11 CDT 2007

I have googled unsuccessfully for this, and the MSSQL help documents are
 not getting me anywhere. I am setting up a local development copy of a
client's site and database. I have a .bak file sent to me by the client
in order for me to have a copy of the MSSQL database. Unfortunately,
when I go to the Restore Database wizard in SQL Server Enterprise
Manager, it only allows me to select .bak files saved directly on the
database server, not from my local machine. I assume there is a way to
get around this (short of copying the file to the database server) - can
anyone shed any light on this for me?

TIA

--
sarah adams