[thelist] create/restore an MSSQL database from a local .bak file

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Aug 7 18:33:21 CDT 2007

Hi Sarah,

You can only restore the database to an existing SQL Server installation. It becomes an additional database attached to that instance of SQL Server.

If the backup .bak file is located on your local hard disk, then you could use a UNC path (\\yourmachine\share\backup.bak) or a mapped drive letter (H:) from the database server to get at the .bak file. That said, this will copy the contents of the .bak file across the network anyway in order for SQL Server to restore the DB, so you are no better off really than copying the file to the DB server, and restoring it locally.

Cheers
Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Sarah Adams
Sent: Wednesday, 8 August 2007 5:17 AM
To: thelist
Subject: [thelist] create/restore an MSSQL database from a local .bak file

I have googled unsuccessfully for this, and the MSSQL help documents are
 not getting me anywhere. I am setting up a local development copy of a
client's site and database. I have a .bak file sent to me by the client
in order for me to have a copy of the MSSQL database. Unfortunately,
when I go to the Restore Database wizard in SQL Server Enterprise
Manager, it only allows me to select .bak files saved directly on the
database server, not from my local machine. I assume there is a way to
get around this (short of copying the file to the database server) - can
anyone shed any light on this for me?

TIA