[thelist] PHP to Java

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 15:16:23 CDT 2007

Paul,

On 8/9/07, Paul Bennett <Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While, as a PHP fanboy, I found Charles' post fantastic, Bojan is looking for Java help.
>
> As he stated it's a management decision (and I think we all know the quality of some decisions that come from 'management'.)
> He's been left to sort it out so lets all dig in and give him a hand and not resort to language holy-wars (even though they are a lot of fun).
>
> Can't we all just get along?

While I understand where you are coming from on this, I don't think
anyone is going into holy war realm. I think most of us are a bit
puzzled at the requirements because the decision does not seem to make
any sense. If Bojan cannot deliver a Java solution that is faster than
the PHP solution currently in place -- and if performance is truly
what is at issue here -- he is going to end up looking very bad and is
much, much better off taking the time now to manage his management's
expectations and bring them down to reality.

My guess is that we (thelist)  a) don't understand his requirements
for the new solution and we are assuming he's looking for faster when
he is actually looking for something else, or b) don't understand the
specifics of this application, and some design decision lends itself
to a more robust persistence layer, or something like that.

We need these points clarified before we can really offer a good answer.

--
Matt Warden
Cincinnati, OH, USA