[thelist] dvd grabber- recommendations?

Dan Stockton prosayist at inbox.com
Sat Aug 18 19:30:38 CDT 2007

Lightning wrote:
> I've downloaded all four products and wil play around with them to see what
> serves me best.

Wasn't paying attention to the thread; have you tried this one?

Media Player Classic 6.4.9.0
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/media_player_classic.cfm
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

> I noticed a standard commercial dvd in my collection has vob (which seems to
> be the movie), bup, and ifo files. Anyone know what these are?
>
> Laura

http://www.allformp3.com/dvd-faqs/410.htm

  The DVD-Video and DVD-Audio specifications () define how audio and
video data are stored in specialized files. The .IFO files contain menus
and other information about the video and audio. The .BUP files are
backup copies of the .IFO files. The .VOB files (for DVD-Video) and .AOB
files (for DVD-Audio) are MPEG-2 program streams with additional packets
containing navigation and search information.

Since a .VOB file is just a specialized MPEG-2 file, most MPEG-2
decoders and players can play them. You may need to change the extension
from .VOB to .MPG. However, any special features such as angles or
branching will cause strange effects. The best way to play a .VOB file
is to use a DVD player application to play the entire volume (or to open
the VIDEO_TS.IFO file), since this will make sure all the DVD-Video
features are used properly.

Many DVDs are encrypted, which means the .VOB files won't play when
copied to your hard drive. See 4.5 .

If you try to copy the .IFO and .VOB files to a recordable DVD it may
not play. See 5.9 .

You may also run into .VRO files created by DVD video recorders using
the -VR format. In some cases you can treat the files just like .VOB
files, but in other cases they are fragmented and unplayable. You'll
need a utility such as Heuris Extractor to copy them to a hard disk in
usable format.