[thelist] dvd grabber- recommendations?

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 03:45:33 CDT 2007

> > Interesting, how come this doesn't also "poison" players, or does it?
>
> It certainly can...
>
> "ARccOS intentionally introduces errors to certain sectors of the DVD so
> that ripping software that reads the disc sequentially will generate errors
> in the ripped product.  Most set-top DVD players can read instructions on
> the disc to skip over these intentional errors, though, which then produces
> the expected video output for most users. Others cannot."
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070418-sony-to-replace-incompatible-d
> vds.html

This is such a flashback to me. As Commodore 64 game developers we did
the same things. We intentionally had tracks with corrupted data that
copy tools would blank out but read out if the tracks are unreadable
in the game. So the only way to copy those was to either write a copy
tool that copies errors or re-code our games :-)
--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com