[thelist] mysql and CONCAT...

Tris beertastic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 04:54:59 CDT 2007

Ello all...

I've got 2 fields.
Depending on the result, one might be NULL, this is intentional.
However, if the 2nd IS null, I want to combine it with eh first...
eg:
field1		| field2
sign up		| NULL
points claimed	| NULL
points spent	| claimed prize X

So in my output I want a new field to be created using CONCAT

CONCAT(field1, " - ", field2) as field1

so I WANT the output of field1 to be:
sign up
points claimed
points spent - claimed prize X

but I'm getting a blank field1 if field 2 is null...

How can I get round that?

--
Give a man a fish and he'll feed himself for a day.
Give a man a religion and he'll starve to death praying for a fish.

`We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.`
Kurt Vonnegut

`When a person can no longer laugh at himself, it is time for others
to laugh at him.`
Thomas Szasz