[thelist] what means .us.com?

Kevin Martin evolt at brasscannon.net
Sun Aug 26 14:33:19 CDT 2007

Kasimir said:
> Well, yes, they seem to have a bit buggy script there... If you try
> us.com it'll tell you it's taken. Even if you add the third level
> sub-domain 'www' there (www.us.com), it knows it's taken. But any other
> third level domain confuses it, so it gives 'foo.us.com' as available.

No, no, no -- that's not a bug.  WHOIS has done its job once it gets you
to us.com.  WHOIS does not know or care about "foo.us.com," nor should
it. Getting you to "us.com" is the job of WHOIS; getting you to
"foo.us.com" is then up to the DNS provider chosen by the owner of
us.com.

http://handsonhowto.com/dns101.html

--
PRIVACY WARNING: Our mail delivery policy is to ignore all attempts by
random strangers to dictate our mail delivery policy.