[thelist] More frustration with dom and IE

Chris Price chris.price at choctaw.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 09:14:36 CDT 2007

Lee Kowalkowski wrote:
> That's 404-ing for me, have you fixed it now?
Sorry, yes I have fixed it. The url is now

The problem has not been the javascript but how IE interprets the space
within the div.

If I have a mouseover on the div, IE will fire when I hit the border or
when it encounter an element within the div whereas Firefox will fire
anywhere within the div.

To cater for IE I added padding around the element until it occupied all
of the space within the div. This worked in IE6 but not IE7.

In the end I just placed an 80 x 80 transparent gif into my 80 x 80 div
and it works fine.

What I'd like to do now is just have the base image inside a div and
manage all the behaviours within the dom as none of the absolutely
positioned divs make any sense semantically anyway.

Kind Regards
Chris Price

chris.price at choctaw.co.uk

Tel. 01524 825 245
Mob. 0777 451 4488

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder
while Excellence is in the Hand of the Professional

-+- Sent on behalf of Choctaw Media Ltd -+-

Choctaw Media Limited is a company
registered in England and Wales
with company number 04627649

Registered Office: