[thelist] SQL: finding "new" records in a table

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 12:49:00 CDT 2007

I realize I did not answer part of your question, which is how to
identify changed records. See below:

On 9/4/07, Matt Warden <mwarden at gmail.com> wrote:
> 4) use a sproc or load tool to update changed records (update strategy)

Lacking a date_last_modified or similar tracking mechanism (you should
beat the original developers with a club, by the way), there is not
much you can do except find records where stage.fieldX != prod.fieldX
for fieldX = {each of your fields}

If one of the updates that can happen is a foreign key, well then
there are some more things you will need to consider, especially if RI
is turned off. But I will not go down that road unless you indicate it
is necessary...

Thanks,

--
Matt Warden