[thelist] Screen Size

Dean Edridge dean at 55.co.nz
Wed Sep 5 23:01:20 CDT 2007

Steven Pierce wrote:
> Good Day all,
>
> I have a site that I am doing, that the guy first tells me that he wants it
> to this
> res, and then now a different one.  How do I set the screen so that it
> will detect the current res and set the display for it.  I have seen a few
> java scripts, but they have not worked correctly.  I am using templates for
> this site, I have a very short time to get this one done.
>
> www.page-developer.net/chris/fibu
>
> The main page is all that I am worried about right now.  If you set your
> display to 1152x 864 it moves the menu over to the right.  If it is
> 10 x 7 it is all lined up.
>
> Thank you for any help that you can give..

I think that you will need to learn how to build a "liquid" site. You
can't really design a site these days that has a pixel-based width.
I suggest that you google  'liquid website templates' and start from there.
Also have a look around on the sites below for possible info [1] [2].
[1] http://meyerweb.com/
[2] http://www.alistapart.com/
It is a bit of learning curve. But I find it is just a case of looking
at it from a different angle.
For example, instead of thinking how wide it could be in absolute
pixels, think of it like this.

You could have a three column site, just make the two side columns pixel
based (maybe 250px each?) and have the centre column (with text in it)
expand and contract to suit the screen size. This is the best method to
start with I think, unless you can find something better on the net.

Best of luck

--
Dean Edridge
http://www.zealmedia.co.nz/