[thelist] moving from static to dynamic content

Mark Joslyn Mark.Joslyn at SolimarSystems.com
Mon Sep 17 15:20:55 CDT 2007

Howdy Evolt,

Currently I have about 70 press releases that are on individual static web
pages. I have entered all them into a database and have created a dynamic
press release landing page that accepts a querystring variable to build and
go to the requested press release (i.e. release.php?num=55).

Here is the problem - the majority of the static press release pages are
listed in Google among other portal sites across the web. If I roll out this
new dynamic press release system and remove the old static pages, I will get
quite a few 404 pages returned to potential visitors.

Is a custom 404 page my best choice in this case, should I just redirect all
the old pages to the new ones in the htaccess file (that seems a bit tedious
to have 70+ forwards), or what is the "industry-standard" method to resolve
the migration to a more dynamic website?

Thanks,

markJ