[thelist] mod rewrite

Mark Joslyn Mark.Joslyn at SolimarSystems.com
Tue Sep 18 13:52:27 CDT 2007

I am currently trying to solve an issue with old content (static) and new
content (dynamic).

My static pages are named like this:

Press_Release_Data.php
Press_Release_Search.php
Press_Release_Post.php
etc.

My new dynamic pages have this naming convention:

Press_Release.php?topic=Data
Press_Release.php?topic=Search
Press_Release.php?topic=Post

To not break my older links, I use a mod-rewite command like this:

Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^Press_Releases_(.*)\.php$ Press_Releases.php?topic=$1 [R=301,L]

This will work and it links to the new dynamic pages, but I want to
mod-rewrite this link again to achieve a URL similar to

Press_Release/topic/Data.php

This is not working:

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^topic\=(.*)$
RewriteRule ^$ /topic/%1.php [R=301,L]

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

markJ