[thelist] Logout

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Oct 2 08:00:55 CDT 2007

Actually Javascript can help you with IE v6+ :-)

Clearing IE's credential cache (logging off a user)
http://www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/archive/2005/04/12/14.aspx

That can be used for HTTP based authentication.

If you are using some kind of cookie based authentication, then your authentication manager components should have some way of logging out the user (basically by invalidating the authentication token in the cookie).

Cheers
Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of David Dorward
Sent: Tuesday, 2 October 2007 6:36 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] Logout

On 2 Oct 2007, at 08:51, Giuseppe Totaro wrote:
> My customer ask me that web application's user log out when he
> close your browser (FF and MSIE 7).
> Is it possible handle this problem with JavaScript (We're using JSP)?

No, JavaScript won't help you with this.

If you're using HTTP Basic Authentication, then the credentials will
be discarded when the browser is closed.

If you're using cookie based authentication, then don't set an expiry
date on the cookie, this will make it a session cookie and it will be
discarded when the browser closes.

If you're using some other form of authentication, then you'll have
to let us know what it is.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/