[thelist] Alternate sources of storing data?

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 11:48:53 CDT 2007

On 10/8/07, Tom Dell'Aringa <pixelmech at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems like a lot of work to build a database interface for something this
> simple. Any suggestions on how to work this out with a flat file, whether it
> be an xml file or json or whatever? Basically I'd like to be able to simply
> open joe_blow.txt, add a line and be done.

If you never wanted to do anything but *append* lines to the file, and
you never wanted to *edit* any part of the file, and you never wanted
to display the content in other than the order it appears in the file --
then sure, a file will do fine :-)

Personally, I think it'd be easier to set up a couple of tables for this
kind of thing, both in the short term and if your requirements evolve
over time -- and don't they always?? :-)

FWIW,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com