[thelist] Form data to office database

Jon Molesa rjmolesa at consoltec.net
Mon Oct 8 22:06:30 CDT 2007

Wow, that's a loaded question.

I believe I'd start with what tools are available to you.  FTP, and some
automation can certainly achieve given the requirements you listed so
far.  There are literally hundreds or thousands of ways to shuffle data
around.  Two things to consider when discussing it with your client are:

1) What systems, tools, server side scripting, automation tools do they
already have?

2) Where is the server/source of the data that is destined for his office
coming from?

I really don't mean this the way it sounds but the solution is sometimes
obvious given the answers to the above questions.  If however, they have
no useful tools to accomplish the job, then ask about the budget.  And in
that case, let me throw out a few tools that can handle the moving of
data.  You'll need to research them and decide which one would best suit
your clients needs/budget concerns.

FTP
Email
XMLRPC
XML

Depending on the database and the clients willingness to "open" it to
the wild, you could publish information directly to it, but I wouldn't
recommend it.

On a *nix system use cron to automate the transfer and conversion of
data(assuming there are 2 different database systems).  On Windows use
batch files or VBS.

You may need to locate a technical consultant to help with these types
of request.  If you can provide more details, others on here can maybe
recommend a single tool for the job.  HTH.