[thelist] Form data to office database

Jason Handby jason.handby at corestar.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 11:49:33 CDT 2007

> Jon Molesa wrote:
> > Access users are used to changing tables/forms/queries on the fly.
> > Depending on the db on the server I'd be hesitant to do this simply
> > because the system's permissions may prevent the user from
> making the
> > changes they feel are important.
>
> Great point. I flinch at the thought of letting an end user
> who may or
> may not have a very good understanding of databases work
> directly with
> the production database. Even if the current user is very db
> savvy, what
> happens when they are replaced by someone who has never used
> a database
> before?

One way around this -- which I've used before -- is to create a
read-only SQL Server login for the ODBC connection to the Access
database. That way the client knows they can change nothing.

Alternatively you can create views for them to link to instead of tables
-- also a good strategy for minimising the amount of data being
transferred -- and massage permissions accordingly.