[thelist] Rusty PHP questions...

Darrell King darrellgking at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 11:49:30 CDT 2007

1) If you are going to use all the fields from a given table, then
SELECT * makes sense. Don't use it if you only need some of the
columns just because it looks cleaner in the PHP.

2) Why reassign $_GET['id'] to $raceid? It's an unnecessary step
unless you are going to do something with the latter that you don't
want affecting the former. This might be the case if you are going to
escape the input bur re-display the original variable in the output
HTML,. for instance.  Think twice about the reassignment if it's just
to be pretty, though, especially if efficiency concerns you.

3) I recommend putting the MySQL connection into an external file and
including it in the HTML document where needed via a PHP include.

4) If you need only the one database, why not select it only once?