[thelist] one more PHP question - using a function

Bojan Tesanovic btesanovic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 09:22:52 CDT 2007

Wow, well you should first separate HTML  and PHP in your head ;)
Those are completely different things.

lets say that user clicked on 'events.php?id=4'

so user is requesting events.php file with id=4;

let events.php file look like this

$ID = isset($_GET['id']) ? $_GET['id'] : '';
if( ! is_numeric($ID) ) $ID='';

$info = '';
  $info = GetRaceInfo($ID);

$links = '';
$arrayIds = array(1=>'name1' ,3 =>'name3' ,4 ........);
foreach($arrayIds as $id=>$name){

<h2>Hello There<h2>

Available events

echo $HTML;

function GetRaceInfo($id){
  return $info;

So eny request to events.php with or without ID will print possible links for events
and if ID is present in URL it will call GetRaceInfo function and print $info
above links

Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:
> Thanks for all the answers folks, really helpful. One more question. I want
> to use a function to call the data when the user clicks a link. If I don't I
> end up with errors because code is just running willy nilly in the page.
> So I have this example function
> function GetRaceinfo($raceId)
> {
>     // make sure there is a race id selected before attempting to pull data
>     if(isset($raceId))
>     {
>     ...do some stuff, etc....
>     }
> }
> Then I have the link that is being written out like so:
> How can I switch this so when the link is clicked, it still calls
> events.php?id=
> but it does it via the function instead? Would I just do this:
> then at the end of my function use header to hit the page?
> header('Location: http://blah.com/events.php?id=4');
> I'm thinking I've got something backwards here though...
> CC me at pixelmech at gee mail dot com if you can...thanks!
> Tom

Bojan Tesanovic