[thelist] GNU / GPL

Phil Turmel pturmel-webdev at turmel.org
Wed Oct 24 07:25:54 CDT 2007

Fred Jones wrote:
> Can anyone confirm or deny what my clients lawyer says? He says that if
> I create an EXE (to connect to our web site from his desktop) and I use
> in the source code a package from SourceForge which has:
>
> License: GNU General Public License (GPL), GNU Library or Lesser General
> Public License (LGPL)
>
> Then we can NOT sell the EXE because since we used the GNU/GPL software
> (even just in the source code) we have to make the compiled EXE public
> domain.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Hershel

No.  There are two cases here:

GPL [1]

and

LGPL [2]

If you release software that includes a GPL component, then the
whole package must be released as GPL (NOT public domain, they
aren't the same), which basically means that you must deliver the
source code to your software, either with each .exe package, or
make it available in some suitable public way.  See [1] for
details.  Note that you cannot charge for GPL software, other
than copying costs.

If you release software that includes one or more LGPL
components, but no GPL components, then you may commercially
release the software, with some conditions.  See [2] for details.
    Basically, you must release the LPGL component with its
source code as you used it, as part of your package.  You must
use the library in its DLL form, so that the (geeky) user can run
your software with a modified DLL, and you can't put anything in
your app that would prevent them from using a modified DLL.

Also, there are significant differences between (L)GPL v2 and
(L)GPL v3, particularly in regards to encrypted or "keyed" software.

IANAL, so I suggest you get advice from a lawyer who has actually
read the complete text of these licenses.

Regards,

Phil Turmel

[1] http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl.html
[2] http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/lgpl.html

--
Need to contact me offlist?
   Drop -webdev or you probably won't get through.