[thelist] Stop the Hate - IE6 isn't so bad!

Tigdh Glesain tigdh at tigdh.com
Wed Oct 24 09:33:15 CDT 2007

It's interesting to see these figures from W3C Schools site in
contrast to The Counter figures...

I note there is a months difference in the collation of the figures,
but the disparity is somewhat disconcerting...

e: tigdh at tigdh.com
m: 0434 249 753 (int) +61434 249 753
p: (03) 6334 2631 (int) +61 3 6334 2631

On 24/10/2007, at 11:24 PM, Jon Hughes wrote:

> Technically and in terms of content the page is well done,
> congrats. :)
> However, as I have to login to post a comment (and I don't want to
> register), my comment is here:
> "...The fact is, IE6 is not that hard to code for, ..."
> Actually, _that_ is the very problem. No real IE hate here, but there
> is a more or less clear way things should be: There are standards, and
> there are browsers that should implement them. Having "to code for" a
> given browser simply is neither what is intended in this technology
> nor
> what is desirable either for developers or for users. That said, I
> share the opinion of the site you quoted about "giving up IE6" and,
> though in a kind way, asking people to please use a better browser. ;)
> Just my $0.02, of course...
> Cheers,
> Kristian

Hi Kristian,

I appreciate your comments (and suggestion -- you no longer need to
register/log in to post a comment, I forgot to turn that off, silly me)

I'm curious as to what industry you work in, and how you can justify
up to 50% of your viewers simply because you have to "code for" a

I would agree wholeheartedly with this decision if IE6 didn't command
such a
huge audience.

  - Jon

Workers of the Web, evolt !