[thelist] GNU / GPL

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Wed Oct 24 13:42:54 CDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 13:12 +0300, Fred Jones wrote:
> Can anyone confirm or deny what my clients lawyer says? He says that
> if
> I create an EXE (to connect to our web site from his desktop) and I
> use
> in the source code a package from SourceForge which has:
>
> License: GNU General Public License (GPL), GNU Library or Lesser
> General
> Public License (LGPL)
>
> Then we can NOT sell the EXE because since we used the GNU/GPL
> software
> (even just in the source code) we have to make the compiled EXE
> public
> domain.
>
> Is this correct?

Not even close. You can sell copies of the binary (.exe) for as much as
you want. What you can't do is deny those who buy copies of the binary
access to the source code. The GPL is not about price, it is about
freedom (that's why Richard Stallman's organization is called the Free
Software Foundation).

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>