[thelist] it's intellectual, but is it property? (was RE: GNU / GPL)

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Sun Oct 28 03:02:21 CDT 2007

Joel D Canfield schrieb:
> still creative. The songs I write sound a lot like Roger Miller and John
> Fogerty, but I still created them - I didn't just copy their lyrics or
> melodies, but I couldn't have created them without those and other
> musicians. I haven't stolen their work, so it's not hypocritical for me
> to ask others not to steal mine.

No. But given they had patents on making songs sounding like theirs do,
they could still sue you no matter whether or not you actually created
yours on your own, possibly without even knowing them. That's what's on
in a lot of situations at the moment, talking about IP in terms of
software, and IMHO its just blatantly stupid.

Cheers,
Kristian