[thelist] How to pick a Security Certificate

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Tue Nov 6 13:10:25 CST 2007

I normally buy from GeoTrust because their phone verification system makes it simple to finalize the purchase. Not sure what GoDaddy is doing.

I would recommend the cheapest Cert that can be recognized by the browser without a root certificate update. You don't need more than that, really.

(In fact a self rolled SSL cert provides the same security - but will cause the browser to honk because the root server that generates the cert is not recognized. That's what you are really buying, the browser recognition of the root server.)