[thelist] Semantic Question....

kasimir-k kasimir.k.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 07:11:17 CST 2007

Jon Hughes scribeva in 11/11/2007 3:10:
> I am creating a keypad in HTML.  The full:
>

> 1 2 3
>
> 4 5 6
>
> 7 8 9
>
> * 0 #
>

> My question is, is it semantically correct

Which means..? With a paragraph of text it's easy: you mark it up using
the element for paragraph. What is the text in this case then? Well, a
keypad, but we don't have <keypad>. Is it tabular data? Do the columns
and rows have meanings? I didn't think so either. Is it a list then?
- 1
- 2
- 3
- 4
- 5
- 6
- 7
- 8
- 9
- *
- 0
- #
Nope, doesn't make sense as a list.

> to use a table in this instance,
> or to float them in block-level elements, or to make an unordered list?

And as Lee pointed out, floting really has nothing to do with semantics
here.

But what you keypad looks to me is preformatted text... If you need
links remember that you can have inline elements inside <pre> (except
img, object, sup, sub, big, small).

.k