[thelist] OT: Need a new laptop for development...

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 02:39:00 CST 2007

On 29 Nov 2007, at 13:18, TJ wrote:

> As far as Mac go, they look pretty - thats about it for me.  I would
> never pay those prices when I can get 3 equivalent Windows (Dell, HP,
> Acer, etc) machines for the same price as one Apple.  Its a financial
> no-brainer.  If I had money to burn, then I might because - like I
> wrote, they look pretty and they look fun but I need to work and I
> need to save money.   I could fully max out an HP laptop AND get a
> monitor for the same price as an equivalent Apple.

Go on then - spit the specs.

You're spouting FUD I'm afraid. There's very little price differential
between *similarly specced* machines; Apple just don't want to play in
the very bottom end.

Oh, and my 4 year old PowerMac is running everything it always did
perfectly, even under the latest and greatest OS update. The only
reason for upgrading to a new iMac is some of the stuff I want to do
now is Intel only. The G3 PowerMac before that is now *9* years old
and is plenty functional for most tasks. TCO anyone?

Cheers
Martin