[thelist] database structure for speedier queries

Nan Harbison nan at nanharbison.com
Sun Dec 2 11:50:41 CST 2007

You guys are brilliant!
Thanks,
Nan

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Martin Burns
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2007 10:09 AM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] database structure for speedier queries

On 2 Dec 2007, at 13:48, r937 wrote:

> i would not use a boolean to indicate whether the project was complete
>
> instead, i would use a column called completed_date

and that's not only for good DBA reasons; it's because I'll put money on
someone asking, some time down the track "when were they completed?"

So you get two bits of information for the price of one field, one of which
is going to be *really* hard to find out post hoc. Sounds bloody efficient
to me.

Cheers
Martin

--