[thelist] IE6 on XP

Ken Snyder kendsnyder at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 12:59:16 CST 2007

Stephen Rider wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Jon Hughes wrote:
>

>> You can use Microsoft Virtual PC to install another copy of XP and
>> keep
>> IE6.  This is 100% reliable, and fairly simple to set up.
>>

> Am I not correct in believing that Microsoft demands a license for
> each install of XP -- even if it's on a virtual machine?  I may have
> heard wrong; but I also wouldn't put it past them.
>
> Stephen

With the Virtual PC download, they give you a "temporary" license for XP
that lasts several months.  After that time, you have to re-download
Virtual PC.

The two main detractions from Virtual PC is that a) you can't access
localhost on the main pc and b) it is tricky to install the "speed"
patch that prevents the Virtual PC from being really slow.

Due to the localhost limitation, I found it easiest to have a sys admin
on my network set up a windows xp virtual machine and remote desktop
over to it.

- Ken Snyder