[thelist] unix acl help

Robert O'Rourke rob at sanchothefat.com
Thu Dec 20 07:19:05 CST 2007

Hello,

    I'm stuck faffing around with file permissions for an ftp server i
just set up on one of our redhat boxes. While all the permissions are
pretty much there I'm struggling to understand the documentation I can
find on ACLs. Basically I want to deny a user access to see or even list
ANY directory other than their home directory. I already have the chroot
jail thing set up AFAIK (using vsftpd) but it doesn't seem to stop the
ftp user from being able to see and download files in most of the rest
of the file system.
    Can I use ACL to block the individual user from seeing anything
outside the /home/ftp/username directory? Also I'd like to do the same
for the ftp-user group but limit that to /home/ftp...

    Please can anyone point me to some entry-level documentation or help
me out altogether with the commands I need to run?

Cheers,
Rob